Cephalexin Antibiotic & its Uses
Cephalexin is a cephalosporin group of antibiotics. It is available as Keflex tablet. It belongs to first generation cephalosporin and it is orally effective, as the oral absorption of this antibiotic is excellent. Cephalosporin group of antibiotics are semi-synthetic and is derived from “cephalosporin-C” which is obtained from fungus Cephalosporium. Cephalosporin group of antibiotics are chemically related to penicillin. Both penicillin group and cephalosporin group contain beta-lactam ring in its structure. Like many other prescription drugs, Keflex is available only by producing a prescription and it is not available over the counter.
Antibacterial activity of Keflex:
Keflex antibiotic is active against many organisms (bacteria) namely streptococci (causes sore throat), staphylococci (causes skin infection like boils, furuncles etc.), gonococci (causes gonorrhea), meningococci (causes meningitis), chorinebacterium diptheriae (causes diptheria), clostridium (causes botulism, food poisoning etc.) and actinomyces.
Therapeutic uses of Keflex:
- The most important use of Keflex is as alternative to penicillin.
- It can be used in treatment of respiratory tract infection (both upper as well as lower respiratory tract infection), urinary tract infection as well as soft tissue infection.
- Bacterial infections which are resistant to penicillin (by producing enzyme penicillinase, which destroy penicillin) can be treated with Keflex.
- Keflex can also be used in prophylaxis of patients who will undergo surgery.
- Keflex is excellent in curing gonorrhea.
- It is effective in treatment of typhoid also.
The internet has made many things easy, like buying many items, including many medications. You can buy many drugs online, including Keflex antibiotic. Just by click of a mouse you can receive you tablets of Keflex.